Saturday, January 21, 2012

Toledo, Spain.

Well guys, I got to go to Toledo. Was it as incredible as these pictures? No, it was ten times better. These pictures can't even come close to the brilliance of this beautiful city. Filled with masterpieces of Goya, El Greco, and many more, this city is rich with history. Toledo was the capital of Spain for hundreds of years before Madrid. Toledo was also known for it's tolerance of religions. It is famous for having people who practiced Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all in the same city. We were able to go to a cathedral, a mosque, and a synagogue.
All class on our bus ride to Toledo.
Holy Toledo!
Yup, it's a dream.
Is this real life?
Beautiful bridge on our way to Toledo.

Cathedral in Toledo
Bell Tower
Beautiful curvy streets
Inside the cathedral

The oldest building in Spain, notice the arches true to Cordoba's red and white arches.
One of the oldest Roman Ruins in all of Spain
Over 700 stain glass windows were in the cathedral

In the main plaza

Incredible 3-D ceilings in the Toledo
Coolest girls ever.
Inside the cathedral- symbolic of the 3 religions brought together in Toledo.
Yeah, it's a little heavy. How would you have liked to wear that on your head?
These red hats were in random spots in the cathedral- the cardinals that were buried here have their hats placed directly above their tombs. The interesting part about this whole ritual is that they won't take the hats down until they've rotted away. The cardinal below this hat died in the 1800s.





Goya's Judas kissing the Savior.
There it is, folks. El Greco's famous Derobing of Christ.

The ceiling reminded me of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel
La Catedral de Toledo
I know I say it in almost every post, but I am in love with Spain. This trip was incredible, and I can't believe how lucky I am that I still get to see so much more of this amazing country. Today Kristie and I enjoy the warm sol (sun) and went out for a run around a track in our town. While running we got to watch some cute Spanish kids play futbol.

After getting some homework done, we were able to head into Madrid for the night and do a "walk" for our "Madrid Walks" class. I'm realizing that I need to write down more of my observations of the Spanish people:

1. Couples in Spain are not afraid to show public displays of affection. Not. one. 'bit. Every where you turn, you see couples that simply cannot keep their eyes off each other. I'd like to say, "It's nasty!" But honestly, it's precious. Not only do you see cute, young couples kiss in the middle of a street, but you see old, cute Spanish couples hold hands and kiss as if they were 16 again. It is muy linda.

2. Spanish men dress nice.

3. The Spanish love pastries. Maybe it's all of Europe...

4. My neighbor knows how to sing. (Our walls are paper thin.)

5. The Spanish people have no problem giving you directions. I've been amazed when Kristie and I have been lost and we've had to ask for help. Every time, they'll drop what they're doing and guide you in the right direction.

6. The Spanish people are very casual. Almost every class I have gets out 10 or 15 minutes late. If it's 6:10pm and you ask them what time it is, they'll say "Son las seis." Or it is 6pm. Americans are much more aware of time. I actually prefer how laid back they are.

7. They are beautiful.

... another great weekend in Spain. Life is good.




No comments:

Post a Comment