Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"The Rain in Spain Stays Mainly on the Plain."

That's right kids, I made it! My first day in Spain has been crazy exciting, and I can't wait to tell you all about it.

Let's start at the very beginning ("a very good place to start...") This morning? Wait. Two mornings ago. Yes. That's right. I woke up at 4am in CA, showered, and drove to the airport with pops. After he dropped me off I went to the check-in for my luggage. I checked one bag, it was a few pounds over weight-no big deal- I pulled out some socks and we were good. I then met up with my roommate and her mom at security. Believing that my carry-on was just fine to take on the plane, I waltzed right up to the security line only to be yelled at by a 5 foot employee who told me that my bag was too big. She then went on to look into my bag that I had food in (but had also had socks) and asked if I had put clothes in? What? Who does that? Then she went on to tell me to put my suitcase in the (frame that you use to check a carry-on. During this process, I ended up getting my suitcase stuck in the contraption. Picture this: Me pulling the suitcase out, while my roommate and her mom held the frame down. (This all of course happened right in front of the security line). After getting it stuck in the frame I tried to empty it enough, but it simply was impossible. I jumped on the suitcase, put on three different sweaters in order to lighten the load... all of this with no success.

In the end, I paid $70 to check this carry-on size bag. Why, oh why, do I do such things? (Biggest lesson I learned today, it's not worth bringing so many clothes to Europe. Why didn't I listen to my family? Ay ay ay... but it's all going to be alright, I won't get sick of my clothes, eh?)

Spain, here we come!
My roommate and I then boarded our plane to Philadelphia. The flight didn't seem too long because I slept quite a 'bit and read for the rest of the duration. I will admit that I was cramped and hot for the majority of the flight, so I was ready to get off once we got to Philadelphia. When we landed in Philadelphia, we walked what seemed to be a mile to a different gate for our next plane. We grabbed some dinner in the airport on the way over. Once we got to the gate you could see Spaniards everywhere. They're pretty easy to spot out. For the most part (in my opinion) they are all beautiful. The majority of them have dark hair, dark eyes, and an olive skinned complexion. The flight to Madrid was fantastic! All around us were Spanish-speaking natives and travelers. My roommate and I were stoked. We also were able to get an entire row to ourselves. The flight was enjoyable, spacious, and kept a nice temperature for the duration of the 7 hours flight.
First meal in Spain!

When we arrived in Spain, I was stoked, but at the same time, it was about midnight California time and 8 o'clock in the morning in Madrid. We grabbed our bags and met up with the group. So far everyone I've met is fantastic! We're living in an absolutely adorable town called Alcala with the sweetest family ever. Encarna has made us meals, given us a tour, and opened up her home completely to us. She even treated us to our first Spanish pastry! Que rico. She showed us how to get to school and how to get to a few parks/plazas. Everything is walking distance! We're in the middle of Alcala and it's fantastic.

Yummy Jamon!
I have only seen a very small portion of Spain, but so far it's everything and more than what I expected. The streets are stunning as they are narrow and are laced with cobblestone. The buildings are incredible. Everywhere you look you see old cathedrals, schools, etc. Encarna took us to a pastry shop and my roommate and I couldn't help but notice how lively it was. People walk every where here and they do it leisurely. There is something peaceful about this place and the people that live here.

I have had 2 Spanish meals and they've been interesting. The first was an omelet-type dish, not bad at all. It was a little zesty, but nothing too different. For dinner, Encarna made us rice with green beans, pan (bread), y el tipo de carne pero no me recuerdo su nombre (a type of meat). The meat was kind of funny, but we both still ate it and are trying our best to try everything and be open to the customs and culture of this family. She tried to explain to us what type of meat it was, but neither of us had heard of the animal...? Either way it was alright. Encarna is very kind and is completely giving. She wouldn't let us due the dishes or help her cook, she's very supportive of us and wants us to focus solely on our "estudios" (studies) and our Spanish-speaking skills. She's awesome.

I am in a foreign country, trying to speak a language that is not my own. I'm doing alright, but honestly, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Spain "Spanish" is different. Encarna loves to talk and that's been awesome to listen to her and her stories, but I will admit there have been a few times when I've been confused and lost. But all with due time, I'm sure I will get better. My roommate and I are all unpacked, and I think it's helped us feel more at home. This apartment es precioso.

Pues, necessito dormir. But I seriously love this place and can't wait for the next 3 months I will have here in Madrid! Although it was a rough start at the airport yesterday morning, it has turned out to be better than ever. I am in a completely foreign country, but I'm surprised by how at home I feel.

1st day in Spain. Check!

1 comment:

  1. Veronica - Too funny re: the carry on. We have no idea what meat you ate either, but sometimes you know it's better not knowing. The comment on the cobblestone streets and the people walking really hit us. We are wishing we were there. (Ok, that was an understatement, we are freakin' jealous and aching to be there). Hope every day is full of discovery and excitement. Keep writing. -Chad and Kelly

    ReplyDelete